Monday, November 7, 2022

A Deep Breath (#14)

Wheat Field with Rising Sun by Vincent van Gogh
So, I am typing this up on a Monday morning rather than a Sunday evening to avoid skipping it altogether. As far back as Saturday morning, I had decided to pass on this week's blogging. I was exhausted from all the preparations--which could fill up a few posts itself--for my daughter's sweet sixteen party. My more astute readers would have noticed that I did not share a Weekly Checkup last Thursday. What none of you would know are all the other things I gave up during the two weeks leading up to the event. No book reading. And forget formal exercise of any kind during that time. I avoided Facebook for the last four days. Maybe five. Then there is the matter of NaNoWriMo. That annual writing adventure started last Tuesday. Finally, there is the all important journaling. No even sure when I stopped it. I am too afraid to look.    

Even this very blog post was not going to happen. And I was okay with it, because, again, my mind body, and spirit, were spent. They needed time to regenerate. Last night I was going to post something on Facebook updating everyone of my decision. A few episodes of Rick and Morty inspired me to blow it off (if you know the series, you would understand). Instead, I would do it first thing Monday morning.

Something happened to change that plan. I woke up about 5 am. Now, I have always been an early riser. As a child, I would wake up around that time to watch Wild America on PBS. Or get ready for school. Even as a teenager. It would be a productive time for me, especially when my children were younger. Alone to finish my goals, and be with my thoughts. But, for the past few years, I struggled. Not with getting up. My body was set in its ways. My mind, however, had given up. So, I would wake up around 5 am, and remain there, daydreaming. The result was an unsatisfying sixty to ninety minute nap that would leave me tired. Then I would spend the rest of the day regretting that decision.

This morning was different. Perhaps daylight savings had tricked my body. Or maybe the guilt of not blogging had inspired my mind. Possibly, a good night's sleep provided the energy for writing. Most likely, I was exhausted from choosing daydreaming over an activity that I both need and enjoy.

So, here I am, forty-one minutes after walking downstairs, using the bathroom, and opening up the laptop. But, it was only to be a short Facebook post explaining why I skipped out on blogging. At the last minute, I swerved away from Facebook, and steered toward Blogger. An old comment from a friend, so many months ago, changed my mind.

"You could have made this Facebook post into a blog post."

Thank you for the advice!

(Not a bad way to start a Monday. Now on to journaling...)

No comments:

Post a Comment