Sunday, November 12, 2023

On This Thing Called Writing (#8)

Peanuts_Snoopy the Writer and Lucy by Charles M Schulz

In last week's blog post, I mentioned how, after consuming a ridiculously large amount of Halloween candy in a absurdly small amount of time, an idea struck me. Well, there were many that hit me upside my head that morning. However, one in particular, left an impression. 

I was going to make another attempt at the NaNoWriMo challenge. It would be my third time around with this major goal. While the program recommends 1,500 words a day for thirty days in order to arrive at a novel of about 45,000 words, this year I am less concerned with those numbers. Instead, I want to focus on consistently showing up each day to sit down down and work on a single story. This has been my tally so far:

Nov 01:  0
Nov 02:  1600
Nov 03:  1370
Nov 04:  1962
Nov 05:  1653
Nov 06:  1401
Nov 07:  1539
Nov 08:  1483
Nov 09:  0
Nov 10:  1498
Nov 11:  1392
Nov 12:  ????

I am pleased with the results. More importantly, writing it has been enjoyable. While none of it will get me published--it is all in "raw" draft form anyway--that is not the intent. Some day, it will be readable (though probably never publishable, at least by anyone but me).  For the moment, it is about writing daily, finding a rhythm, so that I can continue the habit for years to come. 

And that is all I will say for tonight. As you can see, I have yet to do today's goal. Hopefully, by cutting this blog post short, I can find the time and drive to produce 1500 words. We shall see.   
Oh, before I forget, I accomplished another important task: I read an entire book. Sure, it was non-fiction, but I completed it cover to cover, and in about three days. It is called Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. And I cannot recommend it enough. It is not like my more serious history reads. This is definitely on the lighter side, and reads more like a "true crime" book. It covers an important, but forgotten, part of our country's history.

The last few chapters left me in tears.   

No comments:

Post a Comment