Sunday, January 3, 2021

Happy New Year!

No lists of resolutions. Nor rants about this past year. Just some thoughts to sober me up after spending a week in a drunken stupor. Hoping to have a better post or two as this new week unfolds. Until then...

(Spent thirty minutes of my time today reading about the Battle of Monmouth. Very exciting stuff. Here is some stuff about the suffragettes in the UK, and how they were forced fed during their hunger strikes. Not that anyone was forcing me to eat this past week..)
 
Force Feeding of a Suffragette

I blew off last week. Ate a lot of greasy, sugary, fatty foods (gained back half of what I had lost since the beginning of the pandemic). Partially binged a seven-episode television series (missed most of the first third, caught some of the middle, but sat attentively through final three--wow, that final shot!). Watched one movie, then another movie, ending with a third one (hope to write about them later in the week). Listened to just one episode of NPR's Marketplace (which I normally do during my exercise routines, or cleaning sessions). Worked out only once (the one thing I regret--I wished I had done more). Enjoyed viewing an hour long interview with my Babylon 5 crush (looking just as beautiful at sixty as she did a thirty--nothing like a woman in glasses!). Did just enough cleaning so as not to feel like I was in a dump (mostly in the kitchen--I have to have clear counters and an empty sink--and the bathrooms). And stayed away from doing anything related to my daughters' studio (especially anything involving video editing). 

However, this morning found me in the studio for the first time since Christmas Eve.

Sigh.

But all good things come to an end. Which means, for me, tonight, just after I publish this post (and after spending an hour finding an image).

While a long restful period was much needed, such an uninterrupted stretch, without doing anything responsible or productive, has left me too depleted, the Sunday night before the first week of January. Traditionally I take that time to reflect on the past year and list new goals. It does not help that I consumed way too much Chinese food, from a new place I decided to try (it was a way to overcome a certain anxiety I have with phone calls and entering unfamiliar stores). And it certainly does not benefit me that it turned out to be too much of hassle for an underwhelming meal. 

(And, now I am realizing that the dozen vanilla wafers, and half dozen chocolate truffles have not relieved my bloated condition. Or the handfuls of chocolate chips I have been withdrawing from the cupboard.)

Anyway, here I am, knowing full well I need to pull myself together, and begin a new year on the right foot, having spent a better part of last year undergoing some wonderful, frightening, and rewarding changes. Last January, I set some bold goals, discovered some helpful habits, nurtured important relationships, and started this blog. Resistance is inevitable: something has to come along and test the habits we build and objectives we set. The film project I worked on from November through December, presented a major challenge. While I am happy with the final product, I sacrificed a few of my goals to get the job done on time. And strained a few of my relationships, including the one with myself.   

Yet, in the end, I did not succumb to old habits (i.e., run away, give up, reject people), and created a final product that correctly reflected the effort I put into it.

This past week would have been a great time to reflect on all of it, and write down my instrospections. I could have easily produced three or four blog posts. Or a first draft to a self-help book. (Okay, the latter is wishful thinking.) However, several articles would not have been an outside my abilities. 

But, my body (and mind) are bloated. Too much sodium and too many daydreams. And I have not had a full night's sleep in over a week. So tonight's post is a homemade remedy for ew my strange hangover. Something to help me survive until I can think straight. 

Hopefully that will happen first thing tomorrow morning.

Because, isn't that what the first Monday of the New Year is for?

Happy New Year! 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment