Sunday, January 2, 2022

A Deep Breath (#1)

I will keep this brief.*  This blog is closing in on its second anniversary--April 5, 2022 to be exact. In the beginning, its purpose was three fold: build a habit of writing regularly, recount some of my life choices, and share some of my inner thoughts. I wanted the blog to evolve eventually beyond personal stories. My intention was to expand into other topics. The weekly checkup and vegetable gardening posts were my first attempts. They ran for some time. However, other things took priority. Namely, my commitments to my daughters' dance studio. In addition, ignoring my garden for a year did not help. Finding myself distracted, I focused on publishing once a week.

* (Addendum: Sigh. It is not very brief.)

(Ah, Edna. I shared her in my first "Weekly Checkup". Art, particularly drawing, is something else I want to focus on this year.)

Edna by Robert Henri

Well, after putting the other two topics aside, I spent more than a year posting weekly. In that time, I have shared quite a lot about myself. That will not end: it will still be my Sunday posting. But I think now it is time I expand this blog. Perhaps it has something to do with yesterday being New Years' Day (what better time, besides "the present", the first week of summer break, and the last day before a new academic year, to make resolutions?). Or maybe it is pandemic fatigue driving me (change is good). Improving my writing habits and skills is definitely a reason (growth requires challenges and discomfort). And my frustration with the constant barrage of misinformation, disinformation, and willful ignorance needs a positive outlet (seriously, if I do not let it out, I am going to lose my mind, however, I want it to be constructive).

For me, all these causes are valid and true. Yet, in the end, I am driven by a more selfish reason. But, vanity is not quite the word: I lack pride and admiration in my intellectual and writing abilities. I am not showing off. In fact, as I write, I am going to embarrass myself often. Self righteous comes to mind. Except, I am rarely certain of my own knowledge. However, I am sure when other people are wrong. So, maybe half sanctimonious? (This venture is going to definitely challenge my humility).

Sigh. Relevance and significance. I want to be closely connected to and worthy of attention. Not with the world--I lack such ambition. Nor with my country--that would take great courage. Instead, with my local community. And, more importantly, among those in my life whom I admire and respect.

I want to leave a trail of memories among my neighbors, friends, and family in which I am known for having written intelligent, inspiring, and beautiful words.

That there is my greatest reason for expanding this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment