Sunday, January 16, 2022

My Reading Habit (Part 2)

I kept this one short today. Partly because I have only forty minutes before I have to start dinner. And partly because I am not ready to share what I have been feeling these past few days. Okay, also I procrastinated. There, I said it.

(Yes, there is reading, but also, there is something about their outfits: the color, the texture, and the way they flow. I found it listed on this interesting, and amusing, website.)

The Travelling Companions by Augustus Leopold Egg


Four months ago, I began a post entitled "My Reading Habit".  It was to become a series about how my passion for reading has been inconsistent. Although it was bright throughout elementary school, but high school, it began to flicker. It teetered between raging bonfires and breathless embers. By college, months passed by in total darkness, interrupted by spiking flames like a spewing volcano. Teaching would bring me back to a period of consistency; subsequently, the end of that school would signal a return to intermittent reading. And the so, the past few years has seen me crossing a desert, especially when it comes to fictional works, punctured by the rare oasis, where I dive into the cool, wet embrace of a good book.

Following such moments of reprieve, I am faced with the same nagging question: why do I not read more often? These past few days, I have been quenching my thirst, drawing from the pages of a book called Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Perez. The controversy surrounding certain episodes in the book inspired me to dive into it--I wanted to see for myself whether it was dangerous for young people. 

I am glad that I did.

For now, I will keep silent. First, I am only halfway through the book. Second, the author has kicked off an avalanche of emotions and thoughts in my mind. I need time to sort it all out. Finally, I want whatever I write about it to be well written. That means drafting something, putting it aside, then editing and revising, before finally posting it for all the world to see (all ten of you).

So, my apologies for keeping you in suspense. Hopefully, what I post next week will be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment