Sunday, March 6, 2022

A Deep Breath (#2)

I wanted to say more in this post, but I figured, I should not push myself. Instead, I should accept what I have written in the time that I have allotted. Now that it is completed, I can get back to being laid back on this dreary Sunday afternoon.

I just have to remember to publish it at 10 pm. 

(This is Kiki from the movie Kiki's Delivery Service. This is how I envision my youngest daughter making her way through the neighborhood on her new "broom".)

Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service 
For the past month, my youngest daughter has been asking for a bike. She outgrew her first one a few years ago. However, until this year, she never showed much interest. Well, something must have inspired her, because these past few weeks, she has been relentless about it. Finally, recognizing that this was not a phase, I reached out to some stranger on Facebook's marketplace. He was selling them out of his backyard. This morning, we drove two towns over, and under a rain that could not decide whether to be heavy or light, we picked out a quality bike.

The tires did need more air, and that would require me to get out and set up the portable pump, insert one end into my car's cigarette lighter (yes, I still have one), push the other end through my window, and set the bike upside down on the driveway. During the drive home, I kept making excuses, trying to put it off. It was a hassle, especially on a dreary Sunday morning. But really, I was being lazy, and I hated myself for it. So, when I pulled into the driveway, the rain had let up. However, that was not what motivated me. In my side mirror, I could see my youngest daughter jump out, and head straight to the rear of the car. She was waiting for her bike. When I failed to move fast enough, she stepped back, and appeared to give up. I did not. While opening my door, I also released the rear door.

"Give me a minute, and I'll go get the pump out."

Five minutes later, much to my procrastination's chagrin, I filled up both tires, set the bike down on the street, and got on it. "Daaadddd!" My daughter was not  having any of my dad humor. I got off, and handed her the bike. She did a circuit of our cul-de-sac. The huge smile on her face made it clear she was happy with her decision.

That was nearly four hours ago. The sun is out, and I am sitting next to the huge window overlooking our street, typing up this blog. And I have watched my daughter disappear and reappear from this corner of our neighborhood at least five times. That huge smile has yet to fade.

For the second Sunday in a row, I refused to surrender to my procrastination. Last week I was able to knock out blog post by mid morning, before a long day of viewing a dance competition. Today, I ignored that lifelong habit of avoiding a task, putting it off as long as possible, and filled up those tires. Both my daughter and I were rewarded emotionally with that decision.

Finally, watching her explore the neighborhood, for the first time on her bike, inspired me to sit down and write up this post shortly after lunch. Now I can spend the rest of the day doing other things, and not worry about my blog. 

Things like those four loads of laundry waiting for me in the basement.

Okay, I need to come up with more creative activities to fill up this time. But for now, I will enjoy this day knowing that my daughter is happy, and my blog post is complete.

Yeah me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment