Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Brief Interlude (#18)

Currently, it is 9:19 on a bright, cold Sunday morning. Having avoided activity and exercise these past few days, I contemplated taking a walk. A bit of sunshine would have done me good, while the low temperatures would have invigorated my soul. With my daily chores completed--clearing the sink, feeding the cat, reading the news, medicating the cat--there is no urgent excuse to prevent me from taking that thirty minute journey through my neighborhood.

(A self portrait by an Ukrainian artist.)

Self Portrait in Ukrainian Costume by Tetyana Yablonska
Well, perhaps one. My eldest has a high school dance competition today. And it is going to keep me occupied.  First, there is the one hour of driving alone. Then there is the six hours of sitting around in order to watch her perform two routines. Afterwards, I make the hour trek home, but at night. Finally, only after waiting in the school parking lot for her bus to arrive from the competition, I get to go home.
 
It will be eight in the evening by the time I sit down to eat dinner.

Which is to say, in a long-winded way, that I will not have time to write a blog post.

And that is why, I am doing it now, at nine in the morning, passing up an opportunity for physical activity and some Vitamin D.

It will be a real "fuck you" to my procrastination habit.

Well, not completely.

This was not the topic I wanted to write about. Several days ago, Russia invaded the Ukraine. That alone has my brain on overdrive. Unfortunately, my own country is deep in its own conflict, one of misinformation and identity. The foreign struggle is exacerbating  our evolutionary-inspired tribalism. Corrupted and infected social media platforms are amplifying the willful ignorance of certain groups. Finally, the news media is incapable--or unwilling--to adapt itself to the changing landscape. My head is exploding.

All that is what I wanted to discuss, in detail,  through tonight's blog post. But I failed to write anything all week long. So, instead, here I am, sharing with you, my small attempt to chip away at my lifelong procrastination habit. 

It's not the story I wanted to share. However, this story that I am presently composing, is being done now, rather then later. Therefore, when I return home late tonight, hungry and exhausted, I can sit down and enjoy the Chinese food I promised my daughter, without a worry about blogging. 

So, before I go to bed, all I will have to do is hit publish, and post something on Facebook.

(I would do all that right now, except, well, let us just say I have my reasons.)

Take that Procrastination!

(Addendum: Here is another small success to add to today's list: I spent thirty minutes tonight revising this post. I am sure there are still some mistakes, and awkward sentences. However, I had time to edit, and I took advantage. Go me! And fuck you, again, Procrastination.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment