Sunday, October 2, 2022

A Deep Breath (#13)

My eldest daughter had a long dance practice today. It ended about two hours ago. When I brought her home, I mentioned the need to work on tonight's blog post. When I said it would not be long, my daughter rolled her eyes.

"Dad, that's what you said about your last blog post." Then she shook her head and went back to eating.

My daughter reads my blog!

(I bet the two of them are discussing their favorite book.) 

Lovers by Szinyei Merse
In my last post, I mentioned writing a long draft that I would continue to work on, and then post tonight. Well, life got in the way, and some interesting facts. On Friday we hosted a party, inviting various neighbors. It was great, but ran just shy of midnight. I spent Saturday recovering, and Sunday doing laundry, among other chores. Yet, my initial draft was extensive enough that I could have put together something worthwhile. Except, last Thursday afternoon, as I typed away, I occurred to me that my memory was off.

I was working on a list of recent books that I have read, going through and providing some initial reactions and results from later reflections. Initially, in my mind, the list was short. The intention was to demonstrate a dearth of books in my current stage of life. I should be reading more, or so I convinced myself. And here was the proof. Well, as one title came to mind, and I placed it on the screen, two more titles arose in my conscious. At one point, I turned to my Kindle, flipping through the downloads. At another, I sifted through the search history of my library e-book account. The list grew. 

One particular novel even gave me trouble. I struggled to recall its author, or even its name. But I knew the plot very well. It was the last work of fiction I consumed. It was not on my Kindle, nor in my library e-book account. Unfortunately, the app for my library card does not record physical books. I gave up the search, temporarily. Then, yesterday, while watching a TV show (which is worthy of its own post), it occurred to me that I was still missing that book's title. This time, I guess I chose the right order for my Google query, because the first link led to the Goodreads review of the book. 

It was Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott. My thoughts on THAT book could fill another blog post, too. 

Which is to say, I have read more books than I initially thought. My draft needs more work. And, after a day of partying, a day of recuperating, a day of laundry and housework, I lack the energy to finish my initial post for this evening.

Also, this past week I started another book, Looking for Alaska by John Green, which I have been reading during my two-hour-long waits at my daughter's dance studio. I am enjoying it. With this dreary, chilly, early fall weather, it would have been fun to have read more of it.

And now that this post is completed, maybe I can... 

No comments:

Post a Comment