Sunday, August 27, 2023

A Brief Interlude (#24)

Young Decadent by Ramon Casas
Yes, I am recycling. I just don't have the energy
to search for a new one, and this one fits tonight's theme.



Well, after last week's post, I spent the next three days doing chores, returning to my daily routines after a week of vacation on a Caribbean island. It included extra laundry, grocery shopping, yard work, and a long list of phone calls. Oh, and a task I was not expecting: a trip to the vet in order to put down my nineteen-year-old cat. Do not worry about me, it was a great relief for both the pet and me.

Despite an unforeseen emotional event, I was busy and productive--a rare combination for me. But then I woke up Thursday morning and hit a brick wall. And whatever plans about writing I may have made in Sunday night's blog post, they came to an abrupt end. For three days, I drowned myself beneath blankets; for three nights I wrestled with the pillows and sheets. The whole time I desperately searched for sleep, and grasped at whatever tattered strands I discovered. They were few and far between. Indeed, last night I finally fell asleep around four-thirty in the morning. But woke up two hours later, famished, both in mind and body.

Then I began moving about, and consuming precious calories, but this time in satiating substances. Saltine crackers will only carry you so far. Man cannot live on bread alone, though whoever said that was talking about something beyond food. So, I moved on to other forms of sustenance. After skipping four days of journaling, I finally sat down and wrote a long entry, and transcribed a vivid dream. It felt good. I was returning to my proper form. 
 
But tonight's blog post was far from guaranteed. While my body was improving, my mind remained sleep deprived despite efforts to take naps throughout the day. Blogging did not seem appealing (unlike the egg roll I consumed this evening--clearly my appetite was returning). Then I found myself crying while watching the funeral scene from Four Weddings and a Funeral. That recitation of W.H. Auden's Funeral Blues gets me every time. I guess shedding some tears cleared my mind. The thought of blogging tonight revealed itself. So, I heeded the call, went to the basement, and typed up this post.

And that's all he wrote, folks, for now. With whatever energy remains, I am going to share this on Facebook, return to my family room, and watch an episode or two of another strange Japanese anime I found streaming on Prime. When I have had enough, I am going to bed. Hopefully I will find that elusive good night's sleep.

Sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment