Sunday, September 15, 2024

The End of Act 2

A drawing of my hand
If you're interested, here is "The End of Act 1" post.

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a
stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in
the pleasant disguise of illusion.”

― Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie

Since I first read this quote back in high school, I have found myself randomly pulling it from my memory core, and  turning it over in my head, as I recite it silently to myself. There is something deep and poetic about it. However, I often wonder if these lines have me spellbound like an illusionist's tricks, and these words have no deep meaning at all. my limited knowledge of literature prevents me from even forming an educated guess. Also, I am too lazy to apply research, to determine what others have opined about this quote. If in the end it is revealed to be a famous playwright's simple sleight of hand to fool his audience into believing that the stage is an apartment in a 1930's American city, so be it. But, for me at least, it will never be not beautiful.

How I do love beautiful words. 

(And that's all I am going to write for now.)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment