Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Vegetable Gardening and Me (#14)

As I mentioned in my first post on gardening, I want to make this a weekly post. I am not an expert gardener, and I have made plenty of mistakes, but my adventures may help others have more fun and success. 

Also, I now have a page dedicated to gardening, that will contain all past and future posts, as well as resources I have found useful.

Another week, more stuff to harvest, another loss or two to mourn, and some wisdom to be gained...

First Harvest of 2020 by Me
Disclaimer: I am not a professional. All my posts are for informational and entertainment purposes only. I reserve the right to change, edit, or correct any of the content found on the blog at any time without notification. Use at your own risk. 

This past week I collected more vegetables: a zucchini, three yellow squashes, two sunburst squashes, eight small tomatoes (and a green one--a causality of my rough hands), two eggplants, and an almost orange pepper. So exciting!



But no cucumbers or beans yet, though they are steadily growing.



Unfortunately, this zucchini managed to find itself growing on the fence. And I lost another winter squash plant--only one remains. So sad.


The corn is not ready yet (in the background of this picture), though there are some ears. A few stalks were knocked over by the yesterday's tropical storm. I am going to have wait and see if they recover. The remaining summer squash plants (in the foreground of this picture), are still flowering. Next year, the corn is going to be planted a bit closer, with an extra row, and the squash plants are going to grow in fabric pots that I have leftover from years past. 


And this raised bed is going to be a little less crowded, because I am going to add a few more of them.


Finally, I need to figure out what happened to the carrots, lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and herbs, some of which I planted in this spot, that have failed to sprout. Very disappointing! Trust me, this image should be filled with a lot more green. 
 

In the end, I did not see any rabbits, or the groundhog my wife claims she witnessed roaming around my garden. I have been pretty good with putting down the fox urine on a regular schedule. Besides, the winter squash, my other plants appear healthy (except for a handful of them, which I sprayed too late). The failure of some seedlings to emerge is a mystery, for now. But I may have an idea or two. I am already taking notes for next year.

And that is what gardening is all about:  experimenting, working with nature, and enjoying the fruits of one's labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment