Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Vegetable Gardening and Me (#15)

 As I mentioned in my first post on gardening, I want to make this a weekly post. I am not an expert gardener, and I have made plenty of mistakes, but my adventures may help others have more fun and success. 


Also, I now have a page dedicated to gardening, that will contain all past and future posts, as well as resources I have found useful.

Slow this past week, but a busy schedule coming up. Yet, if I would just take a little time to plan, it would not feel so overwhelming.

First Harvest of 2020 by Me
Disclaimer: I am not a professional. All my posts are for informational and entertainment purposes only. I reserve the right to change, edit, or correct any of the content found on the blog at any time without notification. Use at your own risk. 

The tomatoes have started arriving in bunches. I will have to process them for freezing soon, although I did add a few to my cucumber salads (someone gifted me the cucumbers). I may have to give some away, too. There were a few more summer squashes, several peppers, and an eggplant. I will be inundated with peppers at some point, so those will probably be frozen, or given away. Finally, for the first time ever (okay, I only attempted to grow it once before, however, some people doubted I could do it), I harvested corn. And it was glorious. I have collected five ears so for, and expect probably eight to twelve more.






The beans plants have taken off. Unfortunately, because of poor planning, everything is overcrowded, and there is no trellis in place. I am going to let it play out, though. We shall see how much I harvest from this jungle. Gardening is about experimenting. (The bean plants have taken up the row in the right side of the garden, along the fence.)


Then we have this failed spot. There should be a long row of carrot leaves sticking up in the foreground. And behind them should have been several lettuce and spinach plants. Finally, taking up the back row, a cherry tomato, broccoli, and pepper plant. But this is all that sprouted. So sad. But a lesson to be learned for next year.


The rest of the garden is flourishing. There are still some summer squashes popping up, corn is growing on their stalks, cucumber plants are flowering, and the peppers changing their colors (from green to orange and red). The eggplants have not born a lot of fruit, but I am okay with that this year: I prefer having them come in a few at a time. I really do not want to process them. I have lost all my winter squash, and I do not know why, so that is something to think about for next year. Finally, I pulled out a Brussels sprout plant, and my pull out the other two. They are either riddled with holes, or being overrun by bean plants. That is a shame, because I was so looking forward to having them in the fall. 

But that is the way of gardening. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment