Thursday, April 16, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#2)

A Collection of Some Thoughts I Had This Week


This week I am sharing with you an artist I discovered through a video tutorial on drawing, two documentaries that I enjoy so much I find myself falling asleep to them, and two international songs on YouTube that inspire my imagination whenever I work out.



Art




These past few months, I have been researching drawing lessons: I've decided it is a skill I want to improve, and one that will serve my other creative endeavors well. This has led me to watch a series on drawing through Great Courses Plus. While the lessons themselves have been mediocre, they have exposed me to some new artists. One in particular has been Norman Lundin. The episodes' instructor has referenced this charcoal and this pastel a lot. But, after looking further through Lundin's work, I have grown to like these other two art pieces (images below).


Besides being beautiful, the woman in the first image has this wonderful facial expression, and I love how the light glows on her hair, face and dress. I believe this is a sketch of her, and this is a painting of her sitting in a chair.

The second image below is a sample of Lundin's study of light and shadows in a room (which can also be seen in the charcoal nude and the pastel table setup linked above). I love sitting in a room where just enough natural light is entering it to cast shadows across the walls and floor, especially when the room is somewhat sparse, and has wooden floor and wide moulding around paneled doors. It reminds me of growing up in older houses. And, interestingly enough, summers spent renting a house by the beach. 

Hopefully, some day, I will be skilled enough to demonstrate adequately my love for such details.


Portrait of a Woman in a White Dress by Norman Lundin


Late Afternoon Shadows by Norman Lundin


Documentaries


There was a period of time when I would find myself feeling sleepy, but still needing some sort background distraction before dosing off. In those moments, I found myself starting either of the following documentaries, not because they were boring, but because they were so pleasing to the eye and the ear. I left them running on the television in order to transition myself gently into a peaceful slumber.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi This film chronicles the daily life of a famous and dedicated Japanese sushi chef. I find it both delightful, and sad. The music and images make it delightful, the one-minded pursuit of Jiro, and one of his sons, makes it said. Although I understand and accept that there is deep cultural divide at play here, influencing my perception of his dedication to sushi, I can't help but think that the director feels the same way. In the end, it is the music that helps me to relax.

The Story of Film: An Odyssey: And what an odyssey it is. This is a documentary about the history of cinematography, not of film. Only a devoted fan of the former will find this worthwhile. A fan of the latter will get disappointed and become bored. I am neither. But I love learning about things having to do with history and artistic endeavors. Also, Marc Cousins, a film critic from Northern Ireland, directs and narrates this film, lending a voice that is so subdued, but with a hint of such strong passion for the subject, that I can't help but listen and follow him on this journey.




Music

For me, watching music videos on YouTube is like diving into the rabbit hole. One moment I can find myself in a Jersey bar listening to Springsteen, then suddenly be flown away to Appalachia witnessing a cross between country and rock, but sung by Canadians. And from there, sail to Iceland, and watch someone rap on stage, Only to end up in Poland hearing a century old folk song updated for the modern world.

If you read the comment section of the three videos I am about to share with you, you'll notice I am not the only one who found themselves on a Friday afternoon, alone, enjoying such a wild and crazy trip across what has become the playground of modern music.

Here are just two samples from those memorable travels across YouTube:

I present to you, Ane Brun, and her song "Do You Remember", which I am gifting to you in two versions: the official music video format, and one with a fantastic and beautiful picture of her as the visuals. (I love the dancing and costumes in the music video, but it is too distracting for me while I exercise, so I found the static video--yes I listen to this song while working out.)







And Hrdza, a band from Slovakia, performing "Stephen". I love the dancing and movement in this video, the traditionally patterned "skirts" the young ladies wear at one point, and the facial expressions. Oh, and the lyrics. They are hilarious (I hope that words are meant to be funny). 

And, yes, I listen to this song while working out.



No comments:

Post a Comment