Thursday, April 30, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#4)

A Collection of Some Thoughts I Had This Week


Today's Weekly Checkup will be a short list, with in-depth commentary, because it has been that kind of week. Also, I have been spending a lot of time this week planning, both short term and long term. Therefore, a lot of my recent research has focused on information that will appear in later posts. Finally, the weather has been less than inviting. Except to sit curled up somewhere inside with a book and a blanket.

History

I majored in history (and managed to minor in classical studies and philosophy). Just about any subject interests me: I love to learn, to research, to listen. But, at the end of the day, I find myself returning to history. It defies simplicity and fundamentalist thinking (though there has been no shortage of people who have tried to reduce it to short phrases and easy facts). It requires studying a variety of other subjects (philosophy, science, psychology, statistics, linguistics, literature, etc.) in order to discover its secrets and fully appreciate its treasures. Finally, it connects you to the what it means to be human: hundreds of millions of people lived and died before us, leaving traces of their stories.

And, it takes a lot of mental work to do history right. It requires getting out of one's comfort zone, reading and watching things that may not be, on the surface, entertaining or exciting. And an open mind. Otherwise you end up holding on to myths, legends, and outdated information. Finally, it takes time. Lots of time.

I have a ton of material to help people rethink history. But for now, I want to share a recent historian that I discovered through my Facebook feed. I have not read any of her books, including her newest one. Nor have I seen more than a few minutes of her videos, though I did manage to catch her entire live Facebook video this afternoon. But, if you can find a solid hour in your day, please consider watching her. Or, at the very least, follow her: she posts daily messages about current events, and ties them to the past.

Heather Cox Richardson Discusses US History


Documentary Film/Literature/US History & Culture

It was during my last year of teaching, a very low point in my life and career, that two of my students asked to watch a documentary which they had heard about at home. Since I do enjoy a documentary, and try to support my students' interests, I agreed. Also, it didn't hurt that the subject of the film was someone whom I had never heard of before. After viewing it with my two students, a part of me wished I had discovered this man before. But another part of me, maybe the more idealistic part, saw this as yet another time when someone or something enters my life at just the right moment, nudging me in a new direction, inspiring me to explore beyond my comfort zone, reminding me of my responsibility and place in the universe and among humanity.

The man was James Baldwin. The documentary, Take this Hammer.

While watching it, I was reminded of just how little I knew about literature, history, and culture. And how much of disappointment it was that his legacy was not enshrined in the consciousness of more Americans. His voice, presence, and perspective were captivating. Yet, as beautiful and mesmerizing his voice was, it also could be sharp, relentless, and thought provoking. I owe so much to those two young ladies who introduced me to him, and to James Baldwin for reminding me of what it means to be a kind, creative intellectual in a world full of violent thoughts and actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment