Thursday, April 9, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#1)


A Collection of Some Thoughts I Had This Week


In the past, some of the blogs that I used to follow on a daily basis would offer a weekly roundup post. The authors would include links to articles or videos that they found interesting, relevant, or entertaining. I would like to do something similar, but take it a step further. Besides providing a collection of things I find interesting, these weekly posts will be a source for inspiring future writing prompts. Because Blogger offers a labeling system, pulling these posts together whenever I need them will be easy.


Art


I love discovering new paintings and drawings. When I find one that grabs my attention and holds it, I download an image of it to my phone so I can study it. Recently I discovered Robert Henri’s “Edna Smith in a Japanese Wrap”. Stunningly beautiful and enthralling. I love faces, and especially facial expressions, and she doesn’t disappoint. And the way her hair frames her face, then falls over her shoulders, so captivating. Finally, the colors… moments like this make me wish I knew how to talk about art. Then I discovered another of his paintings (which I assume is inspired by the same model) simply labeled “Edna”. The contrast is startlingly. (There is a third painting of this model, labeled Edna Smith.)

Edna in a Japanese Wrap
Edna in a Japanese Wrap by Robert Henri
Edna by Robert Henri
Edna by Robert Henri


Nonfiction Books



I read this book after the 2016 election, and it helped me understand better a lot of my perceptions about current political anger. Besides introducing me to the concept of tribalism, it made me realize that, when it comes to humans, reason and emotion are tightly connected, and not polar opposites. Most people are obsessed with arguing over the second half of the book: in the later chapters Haidt discusses the differences between liberals, conservatives, and libertarians. However, it’s the first half the book that is fare more important and relevant. If only each individual would understood just how powerful a force their own tribe has on them, the world would be a better place.


I will admit that this book leans heavily on the academic side, but Professor Kramer undertook an extensive field study that required her to embed herself in various groups throughout Wisconsin, her home state, and engage them directly about politics, mostly with people who held opposite political views. She deserves accolades for her courage, but also for the data she gathered. I found her methodology so inspiring, that I have begun to lay out my own project that mimics her techniques, but I will be concentrating on education in NJ. Also, her investigation of the urban-rural divide in Wisconsin revealed the human side of a poorly represented group of people. Finally, it is always interesting and informative to hear directly from those who are angry or disenchanted: she gave them an opportunity to be heard.

Fiction Books


It took me two attempts to start this book: the style and subject matter were beyond me the first time around. But I am glad I tried again: the journey was worth it. Ms. Leckie’s language is poetic. Her characters are flawed and emotional and desperately trying to make rational decisions that have far-reaching effects. They constantly fail, or come up short. That’s not a spoiler. It’s what you have to accept and appreciate in order to enjoy the book. Her universe is like her characters, flawed, surreal, complex. And that’s why I love it. Her universe is poem in it of itself. I look forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.

Music

Twenty-minute long vignettes filled with music. Each week,this channel offers a short collection of works from both famous and lesser-known musicians and bands. The music choices are eclectic, and can range from classical music to regional folk songs, international groups to local favorites. I am glad I subscribed.

No comments:

Post a Comment