Thursday, May 28, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#8)

A Collection of Some Things I Found, Some Thoughts I Had This Week


Today's Weekly Checkup continues the theme of sharing videos with you. And that's the only theme that there is today. Really. If you can discover some sort of thread that runs through these three videos (beyond the fact that all three amuse me to no end), I will be impressed. (Figuring out the right order took almost as long as writing everything up, and linking to the videos--in the end, I picked the order that I found them originally.)

As always, consider reading through each section and watching each video (they are short): besides the benefits of discovering a new topic or subject, you will gain more insights into my own personal thoughts and inspirations.

Dance in the Country by Pierre Auguste Renoir

How did I ever arrive at this video? This is what I vaguely remember--part or all of it may be wrong. It was late one night, and I want to believe I started off looking for a video on cooking rabbit stew. Somehow I managed to land on a playlist of Russian propaganda music videos (young Russian ladies, walking the streets of some city, singing folk songs). Then I discovered this group, whose name I have yet to decipher. But among a few of their "interesting" songs, I found this one.

All you need to know is the following: for some reason I connect with the young man (I was goofy like that when I was his age); the woman he is chasing is a Rusalka (a mermaid that lures young men to their deaths);  while the mermaid is clearly attractive, I would have been perfectly happy with the woman in the glasses; this video cracks me up every time. 




I know exactly how I came across this video. Before the Quarantine of 2020 (hopefully I won't have to qualify that with "The First"), I would take a drive every Sunday morning out to a grocery store that was twenty minutes away. That gave me time to listen to a man named Dave Marsh. Loved listening to the guy, even though I didn't always agree with what he had to say (apparently, many people don't like his opinions about music--"grumpy rock and roll journalist"). His eclectic taste for music, and passion for listening to it, not to mention his experiences in the industry, made the drive interesting and enjoyable. During one of his episodes, he played this song. Pete Seeger does a version, but I find Malvina Reynolds version more amusing and subtle, which makes its message that more biting. IMHO.


Last, but definitely not least, an operatic piece. Besides the fact that she has such a beautiful voice, I love the performance aspect: her body language and facial expressions, the way the man interacts with her, and the fact that the orchestra is allowed to respond to her "antics" (watch them smile throughout the song). And I adore the costume. The song is from a famous opera, and I do wish I would take the time to study more about it, and immerse myself more in the world of opera, and classical music in general. Some day. For now, I will have this video, and a few more (which I will share at a later date), to keep the flame of curiosity for this subject burning. 

Damn, I love this video: beautifully amusing, or amusingly beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment