Thursday, October 1, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#24)

A Collection of Some Things I Found, Some Thoughts I Had This Week

Strange week, which deserves some strange links. And that's what makes this moment all the more stranger: I have nothing strange to share. However, there is something I've been meaning to share, a podcast I try and listen to every weekday. But there is nothing strange, or even slightly unusual about it. Except the host. He sounds like he is having way too much fun, even when he talks about some really depressing stuff.

(I must confess, when I saw the thumbnail for this painting, I thought the person in the middle, digging, was a man, and I became immediately jealous of him, "Working hard in your garden while being watched by beautiful women. Awesome!" So, I explored this painting and its creator. Yes, I was slightly disappointed in discovering that all four people are women, but the painting is still interesting to me. But, I was very grateful for the opportunity to discover John French Sloan. There are about a dozen of his paintings I find beautiful, engaging, subdued, contemplative, and intriguing.)

Spring Planting Greenwich Village by John French Sloan


I am talking about Kai Ryssdal, host of the NPR radio show, Marketplace. First, I trust NPR (National Public Radio), and refuse to listen to or watch any other news source on a regular basis. Except for the Economist. That I am willing to read regularly, though I have not had time to do so (I am looking to change that situation). Oh, and FiveThirtyEight--for the moment, I am willing to siphon off my time to listen to those podcasts as they are posted. Although I spend some time during the week perusing and exploring other news organizations, I refuse to waste too much time on them. NPR produces enough quality content in a variety of areas that it currently satisfies my thirst for news. And since my time is precious, I am only able to give up a little at a time. NPR's Marketplace provides a good 27 minutes of relevant and insightful information. Yes, it concentrates on the economy, but since most things are tied to economics, I receive a good amount of regular news (if I want to explore more, I can use the podcast's rundown as a jumping off point). But, the podcast also provides human stories. For me it is well worth setting aside just about an half hour of my time a day to listen to it. 

Okay, here is your dose of strange. Not so much the video, which I is meh. Nor the lyrics, which I love, partly because I find them amusing, and partly because I think they sound poetic. Or the beat and melody, which I find very catchy. What's so strange is my intense interest in this song. I have to listen to it any time it comes on the radio. I just spent the last ten minutes replaying it. For some reason, I find it satisfying to hear.  Very strange indeed.









No comments:

Post a Comment