Thursday, October 8, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#25)

It has been another busy week, but this time around, I have been productive, too. Not as much as I would like, but then, maybe I need to curb my expectations in that department. Maybe. Meanwhile, here is something I want to share with you. It will not be for everyone reading this blog. Heck, I will be surprised if anyone reading this blog (all five of you) gets past the description I provide, let alone the first five minutes of the actual video. But should you decide to spend an hour of your life "experiencing" the video, what a trip!

At least scroll down and read my review of it: I reveal a small secret about myself.

Enjoy!

(Something beautiful and pleasant, in contrast to what is in the video shared below. Also, I just discovered Konstantin Somov tonight. Some interesting pieces. Click on the painting to discover more of his work.)

Asleep on the Grass a Young Lady by Konstantin Somov
   
In  Checkup #20 I mentioned YouTuber Lindsay Ellis.  I linked to a video of her discussing the challenges of getting published, even for a person with a sizeable social media presence like herself. I have decided to return to her for a wild and crazy journey through a subgenre of romance novels.  Although I have never read a romance novel, the authors of such books fascinate me (I have gone so far as to read a "how to write" manual by one of them). Mainly the shear rate at which popular romance writers can churn out books. Danielle Steele has written over 141 novels. H.M. Ward writes 5,000 words in a two hour period each day. I have found it difficult to keep up with three blog posts a week, most of which barely take up two pages, typed, single.  spaced. I admit, I am envious.

After watching Lindsay Ellis' most recent video, Into The Omegaverse: How a Fanfic Trope Landed in Federal Court, I can now add "amused" to list of emotions that romance novelists elicit from me. And how! The first few minutes are quite raunchy and explicit (she has friends read from one of the novels covered in the video). It is also awkward (I want to resist using "disturbing", because I do not like to judge people's fetishes). I mean, I don't find it the least bit erotic, but people do, so much so, that millions of dollars have been spent fighting over the rights to it. And THAT intrigues me.

Trust me, look past the concept of women and alpha werewolves having sex (with beta and omega male slaves watching jealously from the sidelines)--unless of course you enjoy that stuff, no judgement from me--and spend some time listening to Lindsay Ellis explain this hot mess (not the good kind this time).  You will learn a lot about important topics like publishing (another hot mess), fanfic (a steaming hot mess), and copyright law (an f-ing hot mess). But in a funny and entertaining way.

I really need to start writing my novels...

(Seriously, if succumbing to alpha werewolves gets you off, I won't judge you. I promise.)



 


No comments:

Post a Comment