Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Vegetable Gardening and Me (#13)

As I mentioned in my first post on gardening, I want to make this a weekly post. I am not an expert gardener, and I have made plenty of mistakes, but my adventures may help others have more fun and success. 

Also, I now have a page dedicated to gardening, that will contain all past and future posts, as well as resources I have found useful.

Another week, more stuff to harvest, a loss to mourn, and an epiphany to behold...

First Harvest of 2020 by Me
Disclaimer: I am not a professional. All my posts are for informational and entertainment purposes only. I reserve the right to change, edit, or correct any of the content found on the blog at any time without notification. Use at your own risk. 

These past few days, I managed to pick six of those star-shaped squashes (two of them were very small, and are buried beneath the others in the image), a yellow squash, and two zucchinis. Not pictured are two small eggplants that I sauteed for dinner tonight. Now I have enough yellow squash to make several jars of relish.

Vegetables by Me

I do have plenty of peppers, but they are currently light green. So they have a ways to go. Also, my corn is coming in, but still needs some time. Finally, the tomatoes are quite prolific, but still green, except for this little guy in this image.

Vegetables by Me

Otherwise, nothing else has appeared, especially none of my coveted cucumbers (I so want to start pickling--my mouth is watering just from the thought of those bread and butter flavored ones I made last year). Or my beans, herbs, and Brussels sprouts.

Unfortunately, I did lose one of my spaghetti squash plants: it just shriveled up. This one is close behind it, however, I am reluctant to give up that beautiful, but unripe, piece, the green oval thing near the corn stalks. Only time will tell.


And that is the struggle with a garden. Only time will tell if all the work you did was worth it. Which is complicated by the fact that every garden is different: what works for one person may not work for another. Sure, there are guidelines: plenty of sunlight, consistent supply of water, and a rich, lively soil. But beyond that, only trial and error will get you through each annual harvest.

That is why I have started to record this adventure.

(Confession. A part of me enjoys the uncertainty, and need to experiment. Shh... don't tell the other parts. They won't like hearing it.)

Vegetables by Me

Vegetables by Me

Vegetables by Me

Vegetables by Me

No comments:

Post a Comment