Thursday, July 23, 2020

Weekly Checkup (#16)

A Collection of Some Things I Found, Some Thoughts I Had This Week

I am not in the mood to share anything worthwhile tonight. Depending on how tonight goes, I'll probably have to run an unpleasant errand tomorrow morning.

So, I'll leave a few sad and melancholy songs that people have shared with me at one time or another, that I have come to enjoy listening to whenever I am in this kind of mood.

Un bar aux Folies-Bergère by d'E. Manet

My youngest daughter introduced this one to me, and the show it came from, which I loved watching with her.

"That's Not How the Story Goes" from A Series of Unfortunate Events, Season 3



My oldest daughter shared this one with me--it's one of her favorite movies. 

"Tightrope" from The Greatest Showman 


This one came at the suggestion of a truck driver I followed on a social media site. He loves Sandy Denny's voice almost as much as he loves his pet birds. That's saying a lot. I love watching the montage of photos showcasing Ms. Denny.

"Sail Away To The Sea"Strawbs and Sandy Denny


Heard this one on a mixed CD a couple gave me for Christmas a few years back. Heard this song once, and fell in love with it immediately. Although not as sad as "Keep Me In Your Heart", which can be found on the album, this song is a good contender, in a different way. Interestingly, I find this cover much better than the original.

"My Ride's Here" by Warren Zevon, sung by Bruce Springsteen 


This one I discovered thanks to my father. I'm going to warn you: either you're going to laugh and turn it off the moment you hear this woman's voice (like my wife did when I introduced it to her), or you're going to understand right away why I find this song so endearing. 



Okay, this one came directly off the soundtrack of the movie Walk the Line. Loved it the moment I heard it while watching the film. Still love it today. I have heard a few renditions of it, and I believe Reese Witherspoon holds her own, and even gives it a unique interpretation.

"Wildflowers" performed by Reese Witherspoon from the Walk the Line soundtrack


I borrowed a CD from a former coworker nearly two decades ago. She said I would enjoy it. I most certainly did. It was a collection of Cajun music performed by popular artists titled Evangeline Made: A Tribute to Cajun Music. There are quite a few songs on this CD that I love to listen to over and over again, but the one I am sharing now, which was aptly chosen to occupy the last track on the album, rises above them all. I read somewhere that the lyrics describe an evening gathering with friends enjoying each other's company while sipping wine. One critic wrote that the music "is so soulful and vibrant it transcends the language barrier." The person was correct. This song plays in my head whenever I find myself staring off into a night sky surrounded by good people, and realizing all good things come to an end.

"Tout Un Beau Soir en me Promenant" sung by Marie McKee from the album Evangeline Made: A Tribute to Cajun Music





  

No comments:

Post a Comment