Thursday, July 30, 2020

My Weekly Checkup (#17)

A Collection of Some Things I Found, Some Thoughts I Had This Week

I am coming up short this week. Sorry. But I figured I should share something. So here are two offerings: a song and a poem, both from the same artist.

Just think of them as yet more windows into my mind.

Summer in the City by Edward Hopper


I just adore Bob Dylan. Well, his music, that is. I love lyrical songs, and he has gifted us volumes of verses. This one has always resonated with me, since the first time I heard it. The opening reminds me of the opening to the 



Yes, I know, Jimi Hendrix covered this one, and, for many, it is his version they prefer, or the only one they know. But Bob Dylan wrote it, and his voice and sound, in my mind, mirrors the spirit of "Shelter from the Storm". The way he ends it is genius: he gives us the beginning of a tale full of intrigue and danger. So he lets us use our own imagination to carry the story forward. Well, that's how I have interpreted it. And I have, indeed, developed a story to go with this song. I just need to commit it to writing.



This last one is a long one. And there is no music. It is basically a very lengthy poem (it took up five pages). Although he is referring to someone famous in the poem (Woody Guthrie), I feel like anyone who has lost someone special (whether through death, an argument, distance, etc.) can relate to Dylan's pain and frustration. 

Listening to this is not for those who are impatient, or are easily distracted. It is seven minutes long. But if you take some time and join Dylan on this ride, and see it through to the end, I doubt you'll be disappointed. His last few verses still give me chills.





No comments:

Post a Comment