Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Vegetable Gardening and Me (#9)

As I mentioned in my first post on gardening, I want to make this a weekly post. I am not an expert gardener, and I have made plenty of mistakes, but my adventures may help others have more fun and success. 

Also, I now have a page dedicated to gardening, that will contain all past and future posts, as well as resources I have found useful.

This past week, there has been progress, without any setbacks. So far.

Vegetables from My Garden, by Richard Enna

Disclaimer: I am not a professional. All my posts are for informational and entertainment purposes only. I reserve the right to change, edit, or correct any of the content found on the blog at any time without notification. Use at your own risk. 

Things are moving forward, so I can't complain. Of course, after purchasing two containers of fox urine, I have no evidence of rabbits within my garden fences. So, I have two bottles of this noxious stuff sitting in my shed. Since rain is in the forecast for the remainder of the week, I am going to hold off applying the stuff. Apparently heavy, or steady rains will wash it away. 

Other pests have appeared. Most of my pepper and eggplants have small holes in them, and my corn plants are beginning to show signs of foraging bugs. I even saw two Japanese beetles (the scourge of my garden two years ago) which I squashed immediately. So, I have purchased Neem Oil and applied it to the plants. It will require reapplication each week. And every morning, I will turn over the leaves and squash those damn Japanese beetles. At some point, I will spray the yard with nematodes and milky spores, though, I need to research when to apply it (I am sure I will discover that it should have been done in the spring). 

My Garden
You can't see it from here, but all those plants
in front of the tomatoes, are riddled with holes.
Except for one pepper and one eggplant plant.


In addition, I pruned the other set of tomato plants and provided supports for them. I had planned to build frames for them, but time began to run out. They were becoming overgrown, and their bottom leaves were resting on the ground (invitation for disease). So, today I trimmed them, and grabbed old metal supports. Not the best option, but it will do for this season.

My Garden
A mixture of old supports (the silver metal ones
have begun to fall apart, and the green ones
are designed for something us).

My Garden
The tomatoes in the back are pruned and supported.
The black holes in the front are cucumber plants.


Finally, I planted the beans, cucumber, and Brussels sprouts. It will be a late harvest, but that is okay. I plan on drying, pickling, and freezing most of these items. And, interestingly enough, canning jars are in short supply. 

My Garden
The left-hand row contains beans and Brussels sprouts.
The middle row contains the cucumbers
(supposedly a bush variety, but we shall soon see). 


I am excited, because things are moving along. That is until the next problem presents itself. But until then, I will admire what I have.

My Garden
A mixture of winter and summer squashes,
all of which are now well established.

My Garden
My corn plants are not cooperating,
but they were an experiment, so I can't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment